7.13.2005

Blog Marketing

I got this email recently, from the publicist of an author using blogs to promote a book. Not sure what I think about it ... I've certainly used blogs and other online media to try to promote my books, but I also try really hard not to spam, and to only post in blogs, groups, etc. that are directly related to my subjects or of interest (hopefully) to the people in that online community.

(At a lit conference once a writer happily talked about his publicist suggesting he join online discussion groups and post announcements about his book. I think this is risky advice - anyone who's spent time online knows posting even semi-commercial messages in a group where you aren't truly a part of the community can be received very negatively.)

I don't know how this author/publicist found me, but it feels only very thinly related - although you could argue that a novelist working with blogs is one of the subject areas of this blog....

I don't know, even though the donations go to charity, it still feels almost like I'm being bribed with goodwill. I don't know this author or publisher and haven't read the book ... so the only reason I'd blog about it would be as an example of blogging marketing ... which is what I'm doing.

What do you think?
______

Dear Booklover,

I'm writing to let you know about a innovative new online campaign that aims to connect readers with a good cause and a great summer read. All you have to do is blog about M.J. Rose's novel THE HALO EFFECT and include a link to the short animated film for the novel just once, and five dollars will be donated to the nonprofit literary organization Reading is Fundamental.

The goal is to get 500 blogs to post between now and July 19th and raise at least $2500.

THE HALO EFFECT is a sexy thriller that I believe your readers would love to discover this summer. I've included full information just below. Please let me know if there are any additional details that I may provide, and if you'd like to receive a copy of the book.


------

4 comments:

  1. M.J. is really nice. Her blog, http://mjroseblog.typepad.com/
    backstory/, has authors telling how they wrote their books. Yesterday she had, ahem, the two Scotts. I am sure the backstory of _One of These Things_ would be a zillion times more interesting for her to print.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As blog fodder it's no worse than those tests that supposedly define one -- "You Are Tarot Card X" or "You Are Romantic Poet Z" and so on. And they're really going to send five bucks to RiF for every link? That's kinda cool sorta. So where's the link?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I checked out her blog and it is pretty cool; I'll add it to my blogroll.

    In fact, I'll even post the video link since you asked for it, Glenn:
    http://www.vidlit.com/mj/

    But I still would've felt weird about officially participating in this. Dunno why, maybe some twisted residual Southern manners buried deep inside me... If I'd just said, "Hey here's a cool videolink for a book" without providing the context of how I came to know about it, and not had some discussion like this surrounding it - it just woulda felt kinda disingenuous somehow...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahem, that's MJ Rose Video

    Forgot to code it...

    ReplyDelete