8.23.2005

Robert Moog, R.I.P.

Moog, inventor of synthesizer, dies at 71

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Robert Moog, whose name became synonymous with electronic music in the 1960s and '70s through the invention of his self-named synthesizers, has died in Asheville, N.C. He was 71.

Moog, who died Sunday, was diagnosed in April with an inoperable brain tumor.

The Moog synthesizer -- a versatile keyboard instrument that could electronically mimic a panoply of musical sounds, including horns and strings -- was introduced in 1964. Originally employed as a sonic novelty, it became widely used by several rock, pop and classical musicians and opened the door for the mainstreaming of the synth in the electronica genre.

Moog said in a 1997 interview, "To me, the synthesizer was always a source of new sounds that musicians could use to expand the range of possibilities for making music."

--------

Sad day for synth geeks like me.

I'm gonna write a real post soon, I promise. Thanks to everyone for the comments!

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm reading your book and really enjoying it. I googled you and here you are. It turns out you were reading here in Portland just three blocks from my house, I wish I'd known about your work then. Anyway, congratulations on the novel.

    Ronnie
    sublethal

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's gone to the great synthisizer in the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we both blogged about robert moog's demise and queerfilter puts you WA state, but your profile says la. what gives?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ronnie glad you're liking OTT! Sorry I missed you in PDX - it was a great reading with Jemiah Jefferson. I used to live there and loved being back on Hawthorn, even got to go to the Bagdahd again!

    Jeremy - I just moved to LA, haven't updated most of my online stuff yet.

    Sangrocito - I listened to a bunch of analog synth stuff last week in RM's honor...

    ReplyDelete