7.10.2007

Presenting at NCA

Hey I'll finally be at the National Communication Association this fall in Chicago. I'll be presenting "Virtual Spaces, Public Faces: Gendered Subject Positions in Online Communication Networks of Electromagnetic Radiation Activists." It's a project I did last fall in Manuel Castell's research seminar on the network society. I studied groups concerned with electromagnetic radiation / electromagnetic fields (EMR/EMF) and their effects on health and the environment, looking at how their discussions varied across different online spaces. What I found was that discussions considered more "feminine," such as personal stories of suffering, were confined to private online networks.

Chicago is my old stomping grounds - I lived there for six years and got my BFA at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. Haven't been back in years and looking forward to having some deep-dish spinach and cheese pizza from the Exchequer.

No comments:

Post a Comment